collapse

Author Topic: Cat Scratch Fever  (Read 9921 times)

MarlinS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Cat Scratch Fever
« on: January 29, 2015, 04:05:21 PM »
I have a bunch of elite to above average RPs, a TOR SP, an elite defensive SS, and a high profile OF among the guys listed, as I look to reshape, and shuffle my finances for 2021.

Rafael Devers- YOS 4, Arby eligible, LTC eligible- So, my post the other day, and a PM I received got me to thinking.  Now, be forewarned.  Devers won't be cheap.  Of anyone I have listed here, he will cost the most in return.   We all have questions about what the 2020 season means as far as projections go, but in a full season in 2019, Devers posted a .311/.361/.555/.916 slash, with a 132 w/RC+, and a 5.9 WAR in his age 22 year.  Make no mistake, Devers is a stud.  He's a catalyst of my offense, and for the 2021 season, he's going to cost you just over 2M in salary unless you LTC him.  Will I listen on him?  Sure, but I'm looking for a massive package of a 3 or 4 for 1, with 2-3 Top 100 guys.  At least one of those players would have to be helpful in a significant way in 2021.  Its also possible that a bidding war makes his price go even higher.  I will NOT listen on Gleyber or Wander, but here's your opportunity to cash in on one of the young, rising stars of the game today.  Note- If you don't have the requisite Top 100 guys, I will consider comparable players and/or picks.

Patrick Corbin- 35M (2024):  Corbin had an outstanding 2018 and 2019, before a mediocre abbreviated 2020.  He's a legit #1 or 2 on virtually any staff in the league. If I move him, I'll consider paying some of his 2021 salary, although I'd prefer not to.  I will be open to moving him for ML talent, or simply specs and draft picks, but will be looking for equal value to a player of his caliber.

Jake Odorizzi- 8.015M (2021):  Odorizzi posted a 4.3 WAR, with a 3.36 FIP, and 129 ERA+ in 2019.  He isn't a stud, but he'll lengthen your rotation without the long term commitment that virtually any major FA SP would command, just to get them signed, and for much less (probably).

Roberto Osuna- $15.841M (2021):  Osuna is one of the elite closers in the league, Osuna has posted ERA+ in that 170-210 range for the last 3 full seasons.  His salary is high, but he's a difference maker in anyone's pen, and cheaper than any comparable RP would be in FA.

Ken Giles- YOS 6, Arby eligible:  Giles will be eligible for an LTC in the offseason, or will have his contract expire at the end of 2021.  Giles hasn't been as consistent as Osuna, but posted a 244 ERA+ last year with a 2.27 FIP that will help along any projection going forward for the next year or two.

Corey Knebel- YOS 6, Arby eligible:  Like Giles, Knebel can be signed to an LTC, or his deal will expire after 2021.  Knebel has been a solid contributor for me for years, and would serve as a solid setup man in virtually any bullpen.

Drew Pomeranz- $6.437M (2021): Pomeranz has put up well above average numbers once his move to the pen became permanent.  Being that he's a dominant lefty, I'm likely to keep him around moreso than the 3 above guys, but I'll listen on him.

Jose Alvarez- YOS 6, Arby eligible:  Alvarez has posted average to above average numbers the last few years from the left side.  He won't serve in the back of anyone's pen, but he offers solid depth.

Alex Avila- 3.5M (2021 w/option):  Avila is a quality backup, who consistently posts an elite walk rate.  Despite the low BAA, his OBP is always well above 100 points over it, and he even has a little pop.  You could do much worse with a backup and/or platoon mate.  Avila is still a better starting catcher than what is on some teams' rosters, if you should choose to go that route.

Edwin Encarnacion- 3M (2022):  That isn't a typo.  EE is owed 31M per year the next two seasons, but 28M is covered from Seattle in both seasons.  For that reason, I might just keep him since my 1B situation is a bit muddled atm, but I'll listen on the HR hitting vet.

Miguel Cabrera- 12M in 21, 10M in 22, and 8M in 23
:  I'm sad that the future Hall of Famer has come to this, but perhaps we can swap bad contracts?  I'm open to ideas, and I'm open to paying some of the 30M left on his deal, but I won't take on more money than what I already owe here.  I also won't dump Miggy, and give up assets just to do so, when I could pretty easily buy out his deal after the 2021 season.

Nick Ahmed- 3.473M (2021):  Elite SS skills w/20 HR power, Ahmed would be an asset to any SS starved team.  He'd be available as I shift Gleyber Torres there.

Joc Pederson- YOS 6, Arby eligible:  Posted 125 w/RC+ in 2018, and 127 w/RC+ in 2019.  Despite a down abbreviated 2020, I fully expect Pederson to get a projection similar to his 2018 and 2019 numbers.

Team Needs/Wants:- I'm willing to take on a cheaper ML option (and non expiring deal) with a lower projection for 2021 + plus something else, spec(s) for the players above, or draft pick(s). 

Each player is a case by case basis, and depends on how we match up, but I'm going to remain open minded.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2020, 05:15:19 PM by MarlinS »
MLBSA- Tigers
AFFL- Raiders

MarlinS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
Re: Cat Scratch Fever
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2020, 04:08:19 PM »
HUGE name added.  This is NOT a joke.  :)
MLBSA- Tigers
AFFL- Raiders

* Rosters

* Sim Results