Winter Meetings > Winter Meeting Archive

LCT Rivisions

(1/7) > >>

MarkA:

--- Quote ---I really doubt this one passes, but it's something that I think takes the fun out of Sim Leagues and I have become less and less a fan of over time: Long Term Contracts extensions before a player hits the open market.

As it stands right now, from how I interpret the rules, you can tie a player up for 9 years, 10 if you use their first year wisely and don't use a year of service time. But if the average player comes up at 21 or 22 years of age, you've had that player for their entire peak and most of their useful years, at a well-below market price. What that ends up doing is drying up the free agent market of any talent, while players are underpaid, and all these teams have tons of cash because they aren't having to compete to pay their players. For example, this year's Starting Pitcher crop is pathetic. We've got Darvish and Gio Gonzalez. After those two, the third best starter is Marco Estrada who has four straight years of a FIP over 4.00 and is going to be 35 next season.

Unless I missed some other stud, that's what we're all going to be scrambling to sign because no decent players hit the free agent market until they are on the downslope of their career. In real life, players turn down long term contracts in order to hit the market, they have contract opt-outs like Greinke did with the Dodgers. Or they get paid like the generational talent they are like Stanton, Trout, and Kershaw are. I just think if we stay on this path, free agency is going to be worthless and the only way to build a team is to draft and trade for it, because you won't be able to get much of anything on the free agent market.

My opinion is that we need to lower the number of years we can lock up a player, but also greatly increase the amount they make. It shouldn't be an auto-accept for owners because the players are so underpaid. It should hurt a little to LTC these guys.
Modify message

--- End quote ---

TimG:
I like the way it is.

JohnM:
My two favorite times of the sim year are the draft and free agency. Whoever sent in the original post has a solid point: the fun has been taken almost completely out of FA. I've got Stanton for 10 more years, for crying out loud! If I want to keep him, none of will even have a chance to get him. How is that fun? I should have money to burn this off-season (we'll see) and I really want to waste it on a SP, but there just aren't any out there.

I'm not good at coming up with suggestions, but I agree with the OP: we need to shorten the number of years teams can keep players.

DarylH:

--- Quote from: JohnM on November 02, 2017, 07:51:15 AM ---My two favorite times of the sim year are the draft and free agency. Whoever sent in the original post has a solid point: the fun has been taken almost completely out of FA. I've got Stanton for 10 more years, for crying out loud! If I want to keep him, none of will even have a chance to get him. How is that fun? I should have money to burn this off-season (we'll see) and I really want to waste it on a SP, but there just aren't any out there.

I'm not good at coming up with suggestions, but I agree with the OP: we need to shorten the number of years teams can keep players.

--- End quote ---

Stanton was a contract that carried over. Not a good example. Iíll have something more on this later.

JasonB:
I would really like to see a more robust free agency pool, and cut back on just how long a team can sign a player.

Long term contracts just aren't as prevalent in MLB. Im not a "realistic guy" but... anything that might regulate free agent prices, by having a bigger market is good by me.

I will say my own experiences with Jose Iglesias factors in to this as well, his LTC numbers were insanely inflated...  and yet others are insanely deflated, so remove them or highly limit them to try and regulate the inaccuracy.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version