2018:  89-73   .549
Career:  150-122  .551

2017 Rookie GM of the Year
2018 NL West Champs

JasonK

• View Profile
Re: AL West
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:10:10 AM »
I admit, I went a little homer here, but I seriously almost voted for the Angels objectively.
Jason K
Houston Astros General Manager
Golden Fleece Triumvirate 2019

JasonG

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 11:23:52 AM »
Whoops. I voted for the A's, but meant to vote for the Angels. #fail
Jason Glogau
Philadelphia Phillies GM

JasonK

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:07:53 PM »
Damn, even the polling is competitive.
Jason K

DarylH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »
I think this is clearly LAAs division to lose. The others are fighting for second.

The sim does whatever it wants though.
Daryl Hauck
President & General Manager
Seattle Mariners
344-305  53%  (4 seasons)

AL Wild Card: 2017

JasonK

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 06:41:02 PM »
No shame in getting the second mist votes here. Angels are a good squad.
Jason K

DarylH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 07:37:28 PM »
So this is my rough math for the top of this division, SEA, LAA and HOU. I do think OAK will be much improved but like I have said before, their window will start to open next year. And I think Hayes will be solid from there on out.

ERA+ AVG for starters:    LAA - 117, SEA - 106, HOU - 104
ERA+ AVG for relievers:   SEA - 117, LAA - 112, HOU - 105

OPS+ AVG for catchers:    SEA - 92, HOU - 79, LAA - 75
OPS+ AVG for infielders:  LAA - 106, SEA - 105, HOU - 103
OPS+ AVG for outfielders: LAA - 118, SEA - 104, HOU - 98
Total WAR:                LAA - 45.3, SEA - 43.3, HOU 34.9
Total ERA+:               SEA - 1463, LAA - 1258, HOU - 1152
Total OPS+:               HOU - 1264, SEA - 1230, LAA - 1154

For HOU Marwin is included with the OFs.

So I am not seeing all this HOU love. Losing Altuve and then trading his replacement Muncy and replacing them both with Yolmer Sanchez is a step back.

I think LAA is the best team in this division. Dan has sacrificed any depth or farm to win now and so far he has as much to show for it as I do. His rotation is awesome. He also has the best player in the game and it throws his OPS+ off. If Trout misses any time at all Dan will be playing catch up. I think there will be a lot of beating up on each other and I think OAK is going to win more games than last year but the gap is not as wide as it seems to be made out to be.
Daryl Hauck
Seattle Mariners

MikeE

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 08:04:01 PM »
I donít think Iíve ever seen someone put that much effort into convincing 29 other teams why they should have received votes in a meaningless poll.

Prove everyone wrong. I think we all know, you especially Daryl, that the sim isnít as friendly as we all anticipated, regardless of how much crunching we did and practice sims we ran.

DarylH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 08:21:12 PM »
Oh I am well aware. I have had my team underperform every year since this league started. I have a running spreadsheet with all divisions and teams so this wasn't doing anything extra. I was thinking about posting something like this with more details like I did last year. David jumped the gun here.

All we can do in this league is put the best team together we can on paper and hope the sim follows suit.

Thats all Im trying to do and on paper I have done so again.
Daryl Hauck
Seattle Mariners

JasonK

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 08:41:54 PM »
Sure, Sanchez was a step back.  Very much so.  I wasn't spending more than the QO on any free agents in this group, and Altuve's bid war got out of hand.  The only thing Sanchez offers over Altuve is defense.  I'll take it. Muncy...Ö.meh.  I like the add, got two pitchers out of it, then traded one of those pitchers for my best pitching spec and my highest rated reliever.  So trading Muncy improved my bullpen and my minor league system.  I'm good with that.

We'll see what happens with the sim.  I've got good platoons with great LH/RH splits, Senzatela's got a 112ERA+ projection in Coors, so I'm sure that will play better in Houston.  My bullpen is pretty well put together, and I've got a solid defensive group.  I've also got a good core with Bregman, Correa, and Springer.  You could argue they're the three best players in the division at their positions (3B, SS, RF).  I like the makeup of my roster, and I'm pretty confident it will be a contender.
Jason K

DarylH

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 08:48:30 PM »
Im not saying you're not a contender. I think the 3 of us will be battling it out and I think it'll be close. No one is going to run away with this division. The numbers, which is all we have to go one at this point, bear out that LAA and SEA have a slightly better rosters, on paper, than HOU.

Thats all Im saying.
Daryl Hauck
Seattle Mariners

DavidL

• Trade Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 09:01:50 PM »
Oh I am well aware. I have had my team underperform every year since this league started. I have a running spreadsheet with all divisions and teams so this wasn't doing anything extra. I was thinking about posting something like this with more details like I did last year. David jumped the gun here.

All we can do in this league is put the best team together we can on paper and hope the sim follows suit.

If you're saying it's the Sim, every, year. Maybe the problem isn't the Sim.  Maybe.  Just maybe, the problem is Dan Szymborski.
Arizona Diamondbacks
2017:  61-49 .554

2018 NL West Champs

JasonK

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 09:02:55 PM »

If you're saying it's the Sim, every, year. Maybe the problem isn't the Sim.  Maybe.  Just maybe, the problem is Dan Szymborski.

DUHN DUHN DUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUH
Jason K

DavidL

• Trade Committee
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 09:03:07 PM »
Sure, Sanchez was a step back.  Very much so.  I wasn't spending more than the QO on any free agents in this group, and Altuve's bid war got out of hand.  The only thing Sanchez offers over Altuve is defense.  I'll take it. Muncy...Ö.meh.  I like the add, got two pitchers out of it, then traded one of those pitchers for my best pitching spec and my highest rated reliever.  So trading Muncy improved my bullpen and my minor league system.  I'm good with that.

We'll see what happens with the sim.  I've got good platoons with great LH/RH splits, Senzatela's got a 112ERA+ projection in Coors, so I'm sure that will play better in Houston.  My bullpen is pretty well put together, and I've got a solid defensive group.  I've also got a good core with Bregman, Correa, and Springer.  You could argue they're the three best players in the division at their positions (3B, SS, RF).  I like the makeup of my roster, and I'm pretty confident it will be a contender.

That's not how ERA+ works
Arizona Diamondbacks
2017:  61-49 .554

2018 NL West Champs

MarlinS

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 09:07:57 PM »
Its not 112+ either.  Its 107+.

The more telling number is the 4.36 FIP.
MLBSA- Tigers
BNSL- Indians

* Rosters

* Sim Results